When you’re in the mood for hearty, comfort food, our all-time favorite chili by @blackdog_bbq will bring you all the comfort you need. This recipe is easy to make and pairs perfectly with cooler nights. It’s also great to make in larger batches to serve to guests for parties or to freeze for easy weeknight dinners.
This hearty meal is made with some “secret ingredients” and pairs well with any kind of bread (especially cornbread) and will be a family favorite.
- 1.5 pounds of ground beef
- 4 (15-ounce) cans of kidney beans
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can of peeled and diced tomatoes – including juice
- 2 (6-ounce) cans of tomato paste
- 12 ounces of dark beer
- 14 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup espresso or coffee
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 ½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onions and garlic for 3-5 minutes until onions are soft and remove from the saucepan. Add ground beef to the saucepan and cook until meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic back into the saucepan. Add the canned tomatoes, dark beer, beef broth, coffee, and tomato paste to the saucepan. Season the mixture with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander, cocoa powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining 2 cans of kidney beans and simmer the mixture for another 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
You can swap out the meat in the recipe. Try using ground sirloin or a combination of ground beef and ground chuck.
If you want to give the chili an extra kick, add a tablespoon of bourbon before serving.
We love this recipe, and it is our all-time favorite chili recipe. We hope you’ll try it and it becomes your family’s favorite, too!